“Our job is to make learning irresistible, our job is to transport our children to places that they have no experience of and provide them with real experiences. By doing this we help them remember, retain and question – this can only create citizens of the future who are thoughtful, kind and creative” (Unknown)
At the Academy St James we strive to provide our children with the best experiences for our children. Our topics are planned using the following ideas:
- All topics will start with a hook and a way to engage the pupils.
- Topics will be split into 3 learning chapters and children will be producing work to support this.
- Each year group has a progression in skills document which they use for there year group.
- All topics will also have a visit or visitor of some kind to give children real life experiences.
- All topics will have a grand finale which will showcase all their work and be linked to real life skills and an audience.
All the staff will plan a carefully structured approach to the teaching of the curriculum and work will be differentiated to support pupils needs. It is vital that we make our curriculum as relevant, exciting and engaging as possible and teach them the key skills which will support them in later life.
Below are some example of the hook days we have been using!
Curriculum skills document
- Year 1 Key Skills
- Year 2 Key Skills
- Year 3 Key Skills
- Year 4 Key Skills
- Year 5 Key Skills
- Year 6 Key Skills