Reading and Phonics Schemes
In St James’s we use Phonics Bugs as our main phonics scheme and Bug Club as our main reading scheme. We supplement this with other phonics based schemes, for example, Rigby star, and as pupils develop in their reading, we move on to a wider range of reading schemes and other reading material.
What makes Phonics Bug so special?
- Phonics Bug meets 100% of the DfE criteria for teaching systematic synthetic phonics and helps children succeed in their screening check to boot!
- Encourages young readers with beautiful artwork, humour, loveable characters and books and topics they really want to read.
- Fast, effective phonics lessons using CBeebies videos and interactive whiteboard activities.
- Prepare and Assess online games, word generator and mock tests for the Year 1 screening check.
- Brilliantly combines an online reading world with stunning eBooks and beautiful printed books to spark enthusiasm.