School Closure (Snow or other Emergency)
School Closure in the event of severe weather or other emergencies
During periods of inclement weather/wintry conditions/ heavy snow etc every effort will be taken to keep school open.
Closure due to severe weather
The decision to close a school will normally rest with the Headteacher or in her absence the Deputy Headteacher
The decision will normally be made where possible before 7.00 am and on the basis of information received from the media about weather and information from members of the Senior Leadership team who live locally to the school.
Factors involved in reaching the decision to close the school are likely to be:
- Access to the school, i.e. road conditions (obstructions, snow, ice, flooding etc).
- Breakdown of school essential services (heating, electrical services, water, storm damage etc).
In the event of school being closed the following will occur:
- A text will be sent to inform parents ( please ensure for this reason that up to date mobile numbers are given to the office)
- The Local Authority will be notified and a message stating that school is closed will be added to the Pulse Radio announcements. www.pulse.co.uk/
- Please note that closure messages will not be announced through social media sites e.g. Facebook
During School Day Closure Guidance
On occasions it may be necessary for school to close during the school day i.e. if the weather is deteriorating and there is doubt as to whether children can be returned home later in the day. In such cases schools need to ensure that children are collected from school.
In such circumstance the decision will be made by the Headteacher.
A text will be sent to inform parents with the collection arrangements for the children
The Local Authority will be notified and a message stating that school is closed will be added to the Pulse Radio announcements. www.pulse.co.uk/