Year Five and Six
Firstly a warm welcome back to St James and to our new Year 5 and Year 6!
Year 5 Happy Hockneys- Mrs Parker and Mrs Guest
We are named after the famous Bradford painter David Hockney. He is an influential and extremely successful artist, who is well known throughout the world.
Year 5/6 Brave Brownlees- Miss Rosenberg and Mrs Nash
We are named after Alistair and Johnathan Brownlee, who are Olympic triathletes competing in swimming, cycling and running.
Year 6 Laughing Listers- Mrs Langley and Mrs Gibbons
We are named after Samuel Lister, the famous Bradford inventor and industrialist. Samuel Lister helped develop technology in textiles.
Autumn Term: Only the Brave
We are focusing on inspiring courage and bravery in ourselves and others. We are studying:
- English: Shackleton’s Journey
- Reading: Wonder by R.J Palacio
- Maths: Place value and the four operations
- Science: Evolution and Inheritance and Circulation
- Geography: Local Area study of Allerton and Antarctica
- History: Ancient Greeks
- RE: People of God
- Computing: Computer Science- Virtual Tour Guide
- PE: Attacking and Defending Games
- DT and Art: Portraits and Greek Sculptures
Spring Term: Dracula -Friend or Foe?
This term, our learning will be centered around the North Yorkshire, coastal town of Whitby. Click the link below for a copy of our curriculum overview for the term.
- English: Frankenstein
- Reading: Dracula
- Maths: Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Science: Living things – classifying plants, animals and microorganisms
- Geography: Coastal study of Whitby – errosion
- History: Thomas Cook
- RE: Theists, Athiests and Agnostics – What do they believe?
- Computing: datbases / spreadsheets
- PE: Athletic activities
- DT and Art: Masks
We started our term by studying The Highwayman, after receiving a letter from Bess – the Highwayman’s true love. We completed an art journey based on the poem as well as writing our own character descriptions, job adverts and letters back to Bess.