At the Academy St James we strive to enrich our curriculum with a wide variety of opportunities and experiences. Our 5 ways of being support this when we select and
As a staff team we looked at 5 things we felt our children needed to help them to succeed. We wanted them to become:
- Confident communicators
- Knowledgeable and expert learners
- Show you care
- Be yourself always
- Contribute to your community by succeeding together
An example of this is with our Venturists(link here) project
We also have a strong belief in keeping physically active and through our work with JUMP and Sport England we provide excellent opportunities for this to happen. See here for more details:
Over their school life we have made a promise that our pupils will have access to the best opportunities and experiences such as:
- Visiting places of outstanding beauty- Malham and Ingleborough
- Whole School trips – Filey and West Yorkshire Safari Park
- Visiting a beach
- Residential overnight stays in Year 4 and Year 6
- Visits in school from authors e.g Conrad Burdekin
- Resident Art and DT teachers.
- Music and our Academy brass band- the largest primary group in West Yorkshire
- Outdoor education and provision which is outstanding as a centre for excellence for PE and Physical Activity
- A recognised Forest School provider.
- Community events such as our annual firework display, Christmas Extravaganza, community picnic and writing competition.
- Visits to Waterstones and from the Bradford Stories Bus
- Class names after local people.
- A commitment to local geography and history.
We visit the church regularly and play an active part in our community working with organisations such as:
- Lowergrange community centre
- Café West
- Thornton Church
- The National Literacy Trust
We believe that enriching the pupils lives through visits and visitors makes our curriculum a strong one which brings new opportunities for our children to thrive.
Aspire, Achieve, Believe
22 Personal experiences SJ (1)