In deciding whether to make special education provision to support educational, social, physical or emotional needs, we use an Assess, Plan, DO, Review cycle following the Bradford Matrix of Need or the Developmental Journal for children with SEND in Early Years.
Where a pupil is identified as having a special educational need we follow a graduated approach which takes the form of cycles of “Assess, Plan, Do, Review”.
This means that we will:
- Assess a child’s special educational needs
- Plan the provision to meet your child’s aspirations and agreed outcomes
- Do put the provision in place to meet those outcomes
- Review the support and progress
Following Bradford Matrix of need, children will supported by:
- Quality First Teaching – good quality teaching and differentiation;
- SEN Support – support from external agencies;
- SEN Support Plus – support from external agencies and My Support Plan;
- EHCP – Education Health and Care Plan written; support from additional external agencies;
- EHCP Plus – support from Specialist School
As part of this approach every child with SEN will have an individualised Learner Passport that describes the child’s needs, outcomes & provision to meet those needs. Parents/carers and child (where appropriate) views are integral to the this process.
We regularly review each individual Learner Passport alongside the parent and child and will put support in place to ensure that children with SEND are making progress. At these reviews, if we feel that further support is needed, we may seek the support and guidance of an external agency.
We also use the Early Years Developmental Journal to support our children with SEND in the Early Years.
For more detailed information see the Local Offer
At The Academy at St James, we use the following flow chart to plan to support our Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle.
We continuously ensure the provision has a positive impact on the outcomes for all of our children. We do this in a variety of ways, including:
- Regular meetings with parents/carers
- 1:1 meetings with the class teachers and SENDCo
- Robust evaluation of policy and practice
- Book scrutinies
- SENCO/SLT/Governor monitoring
- Learning walks
- Performance management
- Staff CPD, meetings and staff training
- Working with the Nurture Team