The 4 Areas of SEND
There are 4 broad areas of Special Educational Needs, these are:
Cognition and Learning
This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.
Communication and Interaction
This area of needs includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs.
Social, Emotional and Mental Health
This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health needs that is impacting on their ability to learn.
Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties
This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties.
If you have any queries, concerns or questions about any of these areas, please feel free to contact the SENDCO either through email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 01274 777095.
At the Academy at St James, we have experience of supporting children and young people with a wide range of need including:
- General Learning Difficulties – those whose learning progresses at a slower pace;
- Speech and Language Difficulties;
- Behaviour Difficulties;
- Dyslexia (difficulties with reading, writing and spelling);
- Dyspraxia (problems with motor skills, organisation);
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) – ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder);
- Downs Symdrome;
- Other physical or medical needs;