Why is the Computing Curriculum so important?
Here at The Academy at St James’ we believe that Computing is an essential part of the curriculum. Today we live in an ever changing digital society; therefore, it is vital that our children all have access to high quality teaching across all aspects of the curriculum in order for them to have the knowledge and the skills which will equip them for the rest of their lives. We believe that although computing skills need to be taught explicitly; they need to be applied and consolidated through other cross- curricular links in order to enhance the teaching in other subjects and deepen the children’s knowledge and understanding. It is this knowledge and understand that is going to enable our children to use the ‘digital world’ effectively, for a purpose and most importantly safely.
Our vision for Computing
Through Computing, our children will:
- Learn skills that are purposeful and relevant
- Be able to use technology for a purpose.
- Confidently access a range of devices
- Learn skills that could be used in a future career
- Become confident learners who are comfortable with computing independently
- Be able to use problem solving and reasoning to explain how simple algorithms work and how to debug them
- Use a variety of search engines and know which sources are most reliable
- Know how to use different forms of technology for effective safe communication
- Know the importance of protecting personal information.
- Know how to be safe online and know who to report unacceptable behaviour too
For more information on how to stay safe online please click here to visit our E-Safety page.
Here are the Academy at St James we split the Computing curriculum into 5 strands
How many of the challenges can you complete at home? For further instructions simply click on one of the challenges below to open the video clip.
Don’t forget to share your challenges with us through:
- Twitter @church_prim
- Class Dojo
- Google Classroom
- Email your challenges to- email@example.com