Reading and Phonics Schemes
At the Academy St James we use Read Write Inc to support the teaching of phonics. We supplement this with other phonics based schemes such as: Phonics Bug and Rigby Star.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year-olds learning to read and write. Read, Write Inc meets 100% of the DfE criteria for teaching systematic synthetic phonics and helps children succeed in their screening check to boot!
In Nursery all children:
- Learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception all children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 1:
- Are accurate and speedy readers
For more information about Phonics and how you can help your child please click on the documents below. Thank you.Parents Workshop 1
Phonics Handbook for Home Learning