Reading and Phonics Schemes
We believe that Reading is the key skill to support our children in their future lives. We have invested in into our new library to make it a central hub of our school for many years to come.
At the Academy St James we use Read Write Inc to support the teaching of phonics. We supplement this with other phonics based schemes such as: Phonics Bug and Rigby Star.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year-olds learning to read and write. Read, Write Inc meets 100% of the DfE criteria for teaching systematic synthetic phonics and helps children succeed in their screening check to boot!
In Nursery all children:
- Learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception all children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 1:
- Are accurate and speedy readers
For more information about Phonics and how you can help your child please click on the documents below. Thank you.Parents Workshop 1
Phonics Handbook for Home Learning